Recently, there have been many news stories about home fires. Many of these fires have started from non-traditional home heating practices instead of using a furnace or in some cases in addition to using the furnace. In addition to fires, each year tragedies due to carbon monoxide poisoning are reported as well.
Heating costs are on the rise and feeling cold at home is uncomfortable and this may lead to homeowners thinking it’s okay to heat their home with a space heater or oven rather than a furnace. These alternative ways can be dangerous and can cause injury, illness, or even death.
Space heaters are probably the most common way of adding supplemental heat to the rooms in your home. They do help keep you warm and cozy if used correctly; but if used the wrong way, they can actually become very dangerous. Space heaters can start fires in your home. If they accidentally get covered by a blanket, are placed too close to your furniture, or been left on too long, they can start a fire. Pay close attention to your space heater and it’s placement. Turn them off before going to bed or leaving the home. Also consider using a timer the so the space heater will automatically shut off.
Some people use their gas or electric stove and/or oven as their alternative source to heat their home. Heating your home with a stove or oven isn’t only inefficient but it can also be extremely dangerous. Leaving a gas stove on or a gas oven open can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and over time could be fatal for you and anyone living in the home. Also, keeping the stove on could be harmful to people, kids, or pets that don’t know it’s on and could cause burns. Keeping the stove/oven on when leaving the home may also lead to a possible house fire.
When a furnace has been red-tagged, it has been deemed too dangerous to operate. If the furnace in your home has been red-tagged by an HVAC professional, then it shouldn’t be used to heat your home. In most cases a cracked heat exchanger will be grounds for a furnace to become red-tagged and can cause deadly carbon monoxide poisoning in the home. Until the furnace has been repaired or replaced, it’s not safe to operate the furnace. Placing carbon monoxide detectors on each level of the home can help alert you if CO is present in the home.
What You Can Do Prevent A Home Disaster
Besides placing carbon monoxide detectors on every level in the home you will also want to place smoke detectors in your home to alert you of a fire while you are sleeping or in a different room. As always have your furnace checked annually through a maintenance plan by our team.
If furnace repair is needed, our skilled technicians can find a solution to get your HVAC system up and running again. When you opt for replacement, our team will provide you with the best options to keep your home safe and comfortable. Contact our friendly team in Dayton, Columbus, or Cincinnati for furnace repair or replacement.