A Lesson On Carbon Monoxide Safety

After the recent storms in the Dayton area and across the country, there has been an increase in reports of carbon monoxide poisoning. Our team at Logan Services decided that now would be a good time to share tips about carbon monoxide safety. Carbon monoxide, commonly called CO, is an extremely dangerous gas that is a by-product of fuel-burning appliances. It is colorless and odorless, and at high levels it can kill a person within minutes.

Today we met with one of our experts, Jeff, and asked him to tell us more about ways to keep your home safe from this deadly gas.

 

Portable Generators

One of the major concerns in places like Dayton is that after the tornados and storm damage people are relying on portable generators for power. If you are using a portable generator, it needs to be set well away from your home, garage, or any window that may be open. Otherwise back drafting of gases into your home could occur. This is highly dangerous and a high carbon monoxide concern.

Grills

As with portable generators, grills are a problem in storm-damaged areas. With many people out of power, grills are being used for cooking. Like with the portable generator, you should keep your grill out in a well-ventilated area. It should not be near a window or in your garage. It can be a serious issue if you have your grill too close to your home when you are trying to cook.

Ventilation

Many times your vents could be damaged during a severe storm. They could be crooked or knocked loose, or pieces could be missing. After a storm, it is important to inspect your venting. You should look at your furnace and water heater. If something doesn’t look right, make sure to call a professional to take a look at it for you.

CO Detectors

Whether a storm has hit or not, CO detectors are always something that should be remembered. They are inexpensive and can save lives. Recently, our team member Jeff lost a friend to carbon monoxide poisoning because they did not have a CO detector. This is extremely devastating, and something that could be prevented with a CO detector.

 

If you should need any help with your heating and cooling after these storms, be sure to let us know!

Request an Estimate    |    Request Service    |    Schedule Maintenance    |    Refer A Friend