What You Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide In Your Home
Carbon monoxide is a hazardous gas that can be present in your home as a by-product of fuel-burning appliances. Carbon monoxide is completely tasteless; you can't see or smell it, which is why it's so dangerous. At high levels, it will kill a person in minutes. Unfortunately, you may not know you are being poisoned until it may be too late! Because a fuel-burning furnace is one possible culprit that can contribute to carbon monoxide in the home, you'll want to make sure that you take the proper safety precautions to eliminate your family's risk of possible exposure.
What Causes Carbon Monoxide To Be Released In The Home?
How To Prevent CO Poisoning In The Home
You can take necessary precautions to prevent CO poisoning in your home. Make sure that your flues and chimney pipes are connected and in good working condition. Confirm that vent openings are not blocked by any obstructions. Scheduling a fuel-burning furnace maintenance visit with a Logan Services professional will make sure there are no loose parts, no leaks, and that everything is in check for heating your home safely. Routinely replacing or cleaning your furnace filter will also keep your furnace working in good condition to prevent any problems.
Invest In Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors should be placed on every level of your home, and the batteries should be checked and replaced annually to ensure proper operation. In the event of a CO leak, a carbon monoxide detector can help alert your family of danger and minimize your exposure to this harmful gas. If your CO detector sounds the alarm, first make sure that the batteries have been changed recently. Old batteries may trigger a detector without any leak present.
Symptoms Of CO Poisoning
You and your family may experience severe headaches, become dizzy, faint, nauseated, or confused at moderate levels of contact with CO. More severe symptoms include vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, and loss of consciousness.
What To Do If You Think You Have Been Exposed To CO
GET FRESH AIR IMMEDIATELY! Also, get medical attention as soon as possible, and tell a doctor about any symptoms you may be experiencing. Open the doors and windows, and evacuate your home.
What To Do If Your Furnace Is Leaking Carbon Monoxide
If a leak is detected by a CO detector, call the fire department immediately to report the problem. If a leak is detected during a service visit, a service technician will place a red tag on the unit signifying a problem with the heat exchanger. If your furnace becomes 'red tagged', do not turn it on. Rather, discuss possible furnace repair or replacement options with an expert from Logan Services.
These safety tips can help keep you, your family, and your home safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Take these measures, and if you haven't had furnace maintenance completed this season, have a professional HVAC technician come out to perform a heating tune-up.