Can A Broken Furnace Cause Carbon Monoxide In My Home?

Carbon monoxide in your home is a very dangerous situation. Many people don’t realize that, while it’s not the only reason CO would be present in your home, an old, faulty furnace can produce a leak of this harmful substance.

Carbon monoxide is completely tasteless; you can’t see or smell it, which is why it’s so dangerous. Because a fuel-burning furnace is one possible culprit that can contribute to carbon monoxide in the home, you’ll want to make sure that you take the proper safety precautions to eliminate your family’s risk of possible exposure.

How can you prevent a broken furnace and best prevent a carbon monoxide leak in your home? Here are some ways to stay ahead of this situation…

Schedule Seasonal Furnace Maintenance

Make sure you have your fuel-burning furnace checked at the beginning of every heating season. A heating maintenance visit with a professional HVAC company can provide a thorough look at the system to make sure there are no loose parts, no leaks and that everything is in check for heating your home safely during the fall and winter seasons.

Routinely Change/Clean Your Furnace Filter

Replace or clean your furnace filter to help keep your furnace running and working in great condition. It is recommended that you check the filter about every 30 days and make the decision to clean or replace it depending on the condition that it is in.

Never Ignore Issues With Furnace Operation

If you notice issues with the way your heating system is operating, whether it be a sound or performance concerns, it’s always recommended to have a professional assess the furnace at the first sign of trouble. Your heating system could be trying to tell you something, and if you react quickly at the first sign of trouble, you may be able to prevent a bigger issue from occurring.

Place Carbon Monoxide Detectors Throughout The Home

In the event of a CO leak, a carbon monoxide detector can help alert your family of danger and minimize your exposure to this harmful gas. Carbon monoxide detectors should be placed throughout your home on every level. It’s important to also check the batteries in these detectors and replace them annually to make sure the devices are working properly.

These safety tips can help keep you, your family and your home safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Take these measures and, if you haven’t had furnace maintenance done this season, have a professional HVAC technician come out to perform a heating tune-up.

Need the professionals from Logan A/C & Heat Services? Give us a call or text us today to schedule or book an appointment.