Choosing the right air conditioner for your home is an important decision. With so many brands and models to choose from, it can be overwhelming to find the best option. In this article, we explore the top air conditioner brands and discuss the factors to consider when making your decision. From energy efficiency ratings and cooling capacity to noise levels and key features, we provide a comprehensive guide to help you find the perfect AC unit for your needs.
The Most Important Factors to Consider When Purchasing an AC
In summer’s scorching summer heat, air conditioners become indispensable in providing a cool and comfortable living environment. However, choosing the right AC unit can be overwhelming with the wide array of options available in 2023. To help you navigate this process and make an informed decision, we’ve compiled a comprehensive guide covering the most important factors to consider when purchasing an AC.
1. Cooling Capacity
The cooling capacity of a basic air conditioner is measured in BTUs (British Thermal Units). The BTU rating tells you how much heat the unit can remove from a space in one hour. The size of your home and the climate you live in will determine the cooling capacity you need.
Here are some general guidelines for determining the cooling capacity of your air conditioner:
- For a single room, you will need about 20 BTUs per square foot. So, a 100-square-foot room would need an air conditioner with a cooling capacity of 2,000 BTUs.
- For a two-story home, you will still need about 20 BTUs per square foot. So, a 2,000-square-foot two-story home could need an air conditioner with a cooling capacity of roughly 40,000 BTUs.
- In a hot climate, you may need a more powerful air conditioner than in a mild climate. For example, in a hot climate, you might need an air conditioner with a cooling capacity of 48,000 BTUs for a 2,000-square-foot two-story home.
It is important to note that these are just general guidelines. The actual cooling capacity you need will depend on a number of factors, including the insulation in your home, the number of windows and doors, and the amount of sunlight your home gets. If you are not sure what cooling capacity you need, it is best to consult with a qualified HVAC contractor. They can help you determine the right size air conditioner for your home.
2. Energy Efficiency
As energy costs rise, energy efficiency becomes a crucial consideration. Look for the highest Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating of the AC unit. The highest SEER ratings show signify greater energy efficiency, leading to lower utility bills and reduced environmental impact.
Energy efficiency is important in an air conditioner for a number of reasons, including:
- Lower energy bills: Energy-efficient air conditioners use less energy to cool your home, which can save you money on your energy bills.
- Reduced environmental impact: Energy-efficient air conditioners produce fewer emissions, which can help reduce your environmental impact.
- Extended lifespan: With proper maintenance and timely repairs, energy-efficient air conditioners may last longer than less efficient models, which can save you money in the long run.
- Comfort: Energy-efficient air conditioners effectively cool your home to the desired temperature, so you won’t have to sacrifice comfort.
If you’re looking for a new air conditioner, choosing one that is energy efficient is important. There are a number of energy-efficient air conditioners available on the market, so you’re sure to find one that fits your needs and budget.
3. Type of AC Unit:
There are many different types of air conditioners available on the market, so it can be difficult to decide which one is right for your home. Here are some of the most common types of air conditioners and their pros and cons:
- Central air conditioners: Central air conditioners are the most common type of air conditioner. They are installed in the basement, attic, utility room, or crawlspace of your home and have ducts that distribute the cold air throughout your home. Central air conditioners are very effective at cooling your entire home, but they can be more expensive to install and maintain than other less-effective options.
- Window air conditioners: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for smaller homes, apartments, our houses without duct work. They are installed in a window and cool the air in one room. Window air conditioners are relatively inexpensive to buy and install, but they can be noisy and can block your view out of the window.
- Portable air conditioners: Portable air conditioners are a good option for people who want to cool a single room or who do not want to install a central air conditioner. Portable air conditioners can be moved from room to room, but they can be heavy and difficult to transport.
- Ductless mini-split systems: Ductless mini-split systems are a newer type of air conditioner that are becoming increasingly popular. They are made up of two units: an outdoor unit that contains the compressor and condenser, and an indoor unit that contains the evaporator coil. Ductless mini-split systems can be installed in any room in your home and can be used to cool one or multiple rooms. They are more expensive than window air conditioners, but they are significantly more energy efficient, effective, and quieter.
The best type of air conditioner for your home will depend on your individual needs and budget. If you are looking for a way to cool your entire home, a central air conditioner is a good option. If you are only looking to cool a single room with a quiet and energy-efficient option, a ductless mini-split system may be the best choice for you.
4. Smart Features:
Smart air conditioners are becoming increasingly popular, as they offer a number of convenience and energy-saving features. Here are some of the most common smart features found in new air conditioners:
- Wi-Fi connectivity: This allows you to control your air conditioner from your smartphone or tablet, even when you’re not home. You can use this feature to turn on or off your air conditioner, adjust the temperature, or set a timer.
- Voice control: This allows you to control your air conditioner using voice commands. You can use this feature with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, or Apple HomeKit.
- Scheduled programming: This allows you to set a schedule for your air conditioner to turn on and off. This is a great way to save energy by only cooling your home when you need it.
- Energy monitoring: This feature allows you to track how much energy your air conditioner is using. This information can help you to identify ways to save energy and reduce your energy bills.
In addition to these common home features, some smart air conditioners or thermostats also offer additional features, such as:
- Air quality monitoring: This feature allows you to track the air quality in your home. This information can help you to identify potential health hazards and take steps to improve the air quality in your home.
- Humidity control: This feature allows you to control the humidity level in your home. This is a great way to prevent mold and mildew growth.
- Remote diagnostics: This feature allows a technician to diagnose problems with your air conditioner remotely. This can save you time and money by avoiding the need to have a technician come to your home.
Smart air conditioners offer a number of convenience and energy-saving features. If you’re looking for a new air conditioner, consider one with some of these smart features to save money and improve your comfort.
5. Noise Levels:
Consider the noise level of the AC unit, especially if it will be installed in bedrooms or quiet spaces. Noise control is an important feature in air conditioners because it can affect the comfort and peace of mind of the people using it. Here are some of the reasons why noise control is an important feature in air conditioners:
- Comfort: A noisy air conditioner can be disruptive and uncomfortable, especially at night when people are trying to sleep. Noise control can help to reduce the noise level of an air conditioner, making it more comfortable to use.
- Peace of mind: A noisy air conditioner can be annoying and distracting, which can make it difficult to relax or focus. Noise control can help to reduce the noise level of an air conditioner, making it easier to relax and enjoy your home.
- Health: Noise pollution can have a negative impact on health, especially for people who are sensitive to noise. Noise control can help to reduce the noise level of an air conditioner, making it healthier to use.
- Productivity: A noisy air conditioner can be distracting and make it difficult to concentrate. Noise control can help to reduce the noise level of an air conditioner, making it easier to focus and be productive.
An air conditioner warranty is a contract between you and the manufacturer of the air conditioner. The warranty promises that the air conditioner will be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a specified period of time. If the air conditioner does not meet the warranty, the manufacturer is obligated to repair or replace the air conditioner at no charge.
When choosing an air conditioner, it is important to check the warranty carefully. Some warranties are better than others. Be sure to read the fine print to understand what is covered and what is not. Here are some of the things to look for when choosing an air conditioner warranty:
- Length of warranty: The length of the warranty is important. A longer warranty will give you more protection in case the air conditioner breaks down.
- Coverage: The coverage of the warranty is also important. Some warranties only cover parts, while others also cover labor.
- Exclusions: Be sure to read the exclusions carefully. Some warranties may not cover certain types of damage, such as damage caused by misuse or neglect.
By choosing an air conditioner with a good parts warranty, you can protect yourself from unexpected costs if the air conditioner breaks down.
7. Price Comparison:
Air conditioners are a big investment, so it’s important to compare prices before you buy one. Comparing prices allows you to get the best deal. Because there are so many options, air conditioners can vary in price significantly, so it’s important to research and compare prices to ensure you are getting the best value for your money. Not only this, but comparing prices helps you avoid overpaying. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of buying a new air conditioner and end up paying more than necessary for a baseline system that doesn’t warrant the investment.
8. Climate Compatibility:
Consider the climate in your region when choosing an AC unit. For hot days and humid climates, powerful central air conditioners or efficient ductless air conditioners may be more suitable. In milder climates, mid-efficiency systems might suffice. Always consider the impact of your comfort and energy costs before selecting an air conditioner for your home.
9. Reviews and Ratings:
Reading customer reviews and product ratings can provide valuable insights into the performance and reliability of specific AC models. Look for feedback on cooling efficiency, energy savings, noise levels, and overall customer satisfaction.
By carefully considering these factors, you can confidently choose the perfect AC unit that meets your cooling needs, aligns with your budget, and ensures comfort throughout the hot summer months. Remember to prioritize energy efficiency and reliability to make a well-informed and satisfying purchase decision. Stay cool and enjoy the comfort provided by your carefully selected air conditioner and ac installation company!
Top AC Brands:
Choosing between the best ac units is a crucial decision that can significantly impact your comfort and energy efficiency. With a plethora of brands available in the market, it can be overwhelming to determine which ones offer the best quality, performance, and customer satisfaction. Let’s explore the top 10 AC unit brands in the United States as of July 2023, considering factors such as cost, features, customer service, and warranty.
Trane is a leading brand, synonymous with high-quality and durable AC units. Renowned for their energy efficiency, Trane systems deliver reliable cooling while minimizing energy consumption. Their diverse options include central air conditioners, heat pumps, and ductless systems. Trane excels in customer service, ensuring their customers receive the necessary support throughout the lifespan of their AC units. Paired with an award-winning HVAC installation company, like Logan Services, a Trane air conditioner is an excellent investment in home comfort for your living space.
Carrier is a well-known AC unit brand, known for energy efficiency options and performance. Their products are designed to provide good cooling operation while maintaining a comfortable indoor environment. Carrier offers a range of air conditioning solutions, including central air conditioners, ductless systems, and heat pumps. They are said to provide good customer service and and standard warranties, making them competitive choice for homeowners and businesses alike.
Lennox is another popular name in the HVAC industry, manufacturing a selection AC units prioritizing energy efficiency and quiet operation. With a variety of air conditioning systems, including central air conditioners, ductless units, and heat pumps, Lennox aims to deliver comfort while minimizing energy consumption. Lennox is known to have good customer service and warranties for system breakdowns.
Rheem, a well-established brand more commonly known for their water heaters, earns its reputation by producing adequate and efficient air conditioning systems. Their AC units are known for their affordability. Rheem offers a range of options, including central air conditioners, heat pumps, and ductless systems, catering to various customer needs. The brand’s attention to customer satisfaction is reflected in its responsive customer service and standard warranty coverage.
Daikin is recognized as a commonly known brand HVAC industry. Daikin AC units are known for their varying features, reliability, and performance. The brand offers extensive products, including split systems, multi-split systems, and variable refrigerant volume (VRV) systems. Daikin is known to have good customer satisfaction by providing competitive parts warranties and responsive customer support.
6. American Standard:
American Standard, more commonly known for their bathroom and kitchen fixtures, is a brand offering baseline reliability and energy-efficient air conditioning solutions. Their AC units are designed to deliver consistent cooling performance while maintaining a comfortable indoor environment. American Standard provides a range of products, including central air conditioners and heat pumps. They provide customer satisfaction by offering warranties and responsive customer service.
Goodman is a brand known for offering affordable and adequate air conditioning systems. Their products provide acceptable cooling while offering basic equipment for a lower cost than some more highly sought after brands. Goodman offers a range of options, including central air conditioners, heat pumps, and ductless systems. They provide decent performance and warranties for a lower tiered brand.
York is a commonly-known brand offering AC units known for their equipment options for operational performance and efficiency. Their products are designed to provide cooling and comfort while minimizing energy consumption. York offers the basic air conditioning solutions, including central air conditioners, heat pumps, and ductless systems.
Amana is a brand, more commonly known for their washer and dryer manufacturing, offering adequate and sufficient air conditioning units. Their AC systems are known for their low cost and affordability. Amana provides a range of options, including central air conditioners, heat pumps, and ductless systems. The brand offers customer satisfaction with standard warranties and responsive customer support.
10. Mitsubishi Electric:
Mitsubishi Electric, a leading brand in the HVAC industry, is renowned for its advanced technology and energy-efficient solutions. Their AC units provide superior performance and comfort while minimizing energy consumption. Mitsubishi Electric offers a range of products, including ductless and variable refrigerant flow (VRF) systems. The brand prioritizes customer satisfaction by offering comprehensive warranties and reliable customer service. Mitsubishi Electric is the leader in ductless technology, and is a consumer favorite for heat pump applications when ductwork is not available. Logan Services is proud to offer Mitsubishi Ductless system installation.
In conclusion, selecting the right air conditioning brand requires careful consideration of various factors, including cost, features, customer service, and warranty. Each of the top 10 AC brands mentioned above excels in different aspects, making them stand out in the competitive HVAC market. By understanding your specific cooling needs and weighing the factors mentioned in this article, you can confidently choose an AC unit that brings optimal comfort and efficiency to your home or business. Remember to consult with professional representatives to discuss your requirements thoroughly and make an informed decision that aligns with your long-term cooling goals.
While AC brand is one of the most important decisions you will make with your replacement project, WHO you select to install your system is even more crucial. The best brand air conditioner will not perform at it’s best if it is not installed correctly. Always research the best HVAC installing companies before choosing your air conditioner equipment to ensure you are making the most of your investment.
What’s the Difference Between Central Air and Ductless Air Conditioners?
When it comes to keeping your home cool and comfortable during the scorching summer months, the choice between a ductless mini-split system and a conventional central air conditioning system can be a significant decision for homeowners. Both options have their merits and drawbacks, so let’s delve into the key differences to help you make an informed choice.
Ductless Mini-Split System:
A ductless mini-split system consists of two main components: an outdoor compressor and an indoor air-handling unit, with a conduit linking the two. One of the most significant advantages of a ductless mini-split system is its ability to operate without the need for ductwork. This makes it an ideal cooling option for older buildings with thick walls, where installing traditional ducts may be impractical or costly.
Advantages of a Ductless Mini-Split System:
- No ductwork required: The absence of ducts simplifies installation and reduces potential energy losses associated with duct systems.
- Zoning flexibility: Ductless systems allow for greater temperature zoning, providing individualized control over the cooling in different rooms.
- Quiet operation: Ductless mini-split systems tend to run quieter than central air conditioning systems, contributing to a more peaceful living environment.
- High efficiency: Some models boast the highest efficiency ratings among all air conditioning systems, resulting in energy savings and lower utility bills.
- Year-round functionality: In addition to cooling, these systems can work in reverse during the winter, absorbing heat from the outside air and moving it indoors to heat your home, providing year-round comfort.
Disadvantages of a Ductless Mini-Split System:
- High initial cost: While ductless systems can save money in the long run through energy efficiency, the upfront installation cost can be relatively high.
- Installation challenges: Finding qualified installers and ensuring proper sizing and placement of the units can be critical for optimal efficiency.
- Aesthetic concerns: Some homeowners may have reservations about the appearance of wall-mounted indoor units, as well as the line sets that run along the outside of the house.
Central Air Conditioning System:
A central air conditioning system treats air at a central location and distributes it to various rooms through a network of ducts. Supply ducts carry cool air from the air conditioner to the home, and return ducts transport warmer air back to the central unit for cooling.
Advantages of a Central Air Conditioning System:
- Whole-house cooling: Central air conditioning is well-suited for cooling an entire home, maintaining consistent temperatures throughout the living spaces.
- Invisible installation: The system is virtually invisible as it operates behind walls, contributing to the aesthetics of your home.
- Enhanced property value: Installing a central AC system can increase the resale value of your home.
Disadvantages of a Central Air Conditioning System:
- Initial cost: While the upfront cost of a central AC system is often lower than ductless systems, it may require existing ductwork for efficient operation.
- Annual maintenance: Central air conditioners necessitate regular maintenance to ensure optimal performance and energy efficiency.
- Air duct cleaning: Periodic cleaning of air ducts is essential to prevent dust buildup and maintain air quality.
Which Is Better: Ductless or Central Air Conditioning?
The answer depends on your specific needs, budget, and home structure. If you’re seeking a cost-effective solution for cooling individual rooms and zoning flexibility, a ductless mini-split system might be the right choice. It works exceptionally well for older homes without ducts and offers energy-efficient performance.
On the other hand, if you prioritize whole-house cooling, invisible installation, and long-term property value enhancement, a central air conditioning system may be the more suitable option. However, ensure your home already has ductwork or factor in the additional cost of duct installation.
Ultimately, the best decision lies in assessing your cooling requirements, considering the initial investment and long-term savings, and evaluating the aesthetics and convenience of each system. If you already have ductwork, more than likely you will benefit from central air replacement. You may even benefit by utilizing both ductless and traditional applications within your home to maximize your comfort.
To summarize, both ductless mini-split and central air conditioning systems have advantages and disadvantages. The right choice depends on your preferences, home structure, and cooling needs. Consult with HVAC professionals to determine the most suitable cooling system for your home, ensuring comfort and efficiency during the year’s hottest days.
Maintenance Tips to Keep Your AC Unit Running Efficiently
An HVAC system is a crucial component of a comfortable home, providing cooling during hot summers and heating in colder months. Proper care and maintenance of your air conditioner are essential to ensure its efficient and reliable performance. Regular maintenance can extend your HVAC system’s life and improve its energy efficiency and indoor air quality. This guide will explore ten DIY HVAC maintenance tips for homeowners to keep their air conditioners running smoothly for years to come.
Change or Clean Your Air Filters Regularly:
One of the most vital maintenance tasks is regularly changing or cleaning your air filters. These filters remove dust, allergens, and other particles from the air before it circulates throughout your home. Dirty or faulty filters can hinder the system’s ability to remove contaminants, leading to reduced indoor air quality and increased strain on the HVAC unit. To maintain clean air filters, remove them from the unit and replace them with new ones regularly. Alternatively, clean reusable filters using a hand vacuum, microfiber cloth, warm water, and vinegar. If unsure, seek professional help to ensure proper filter maintenance.
Keep Your Vents and Registers Clean:
Regularly cleaning your vents and registers is a simple yet effective way to maintain a healthy HVAC system. Accumulated dust and debris on vents and registers can lead to inefficient cooling or heating, resulting in higher energy costs and a reduced lifespan for your air conditioner. Use a brush to clear dust and dirt from the openings, and consider professional duct cleaning for a thorough job.
Clean Debris and Dust From Your Outdoor Units:
Outdoor units are prone to catching debris and buildup, which can hinder your HVAC system’s performance. Cleaning the outdoor unit is crucial for optimal cooling and reduced energy consumption. Turn off the unit’s power before cleaning, and use a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment to reach difficult areas. If airflow issues persist, have the outdoor unit inspected by an HVAC contractor.
Remove Blockage from Ducts:
Blocked ducts can cause problems with your HVAC system and lead to poor indoor air quality. Regularly inspect your air conditioning unit and ducts to clear any clogs quickly. If cleaning doesn’t solve the problem, consider professional duct replacement.
Check Your Heating System for Leaks:
Leaks are common issues in HVAC systems and can lead to strange smells or poor air quality. Check for water damage and signs of leaks in your AC unit, ducts, condenser unit, or fan. If leaks are detected, seek professional repair services promptly.
Clean Condensate Drain Regularly:
Cleaning the condensate drain is vital to ensure proper cooling. Over time, your drain line can get clogged by a build up in the pipe. Pour bleach or vinegar down your condensate line once or twice a year to ensure that the drain stays clear and you don’t end up with a water leak or system shut down.
Use A Programmable Thermostat:
Investing in a programmable thermostat can help manage your HVAC system efficiently. Set schedules for heating and cooling, and choose which rooms or areas to cool or heat. This can lead to energy savings and increased comfort in your home.
Deter Pests & Rodents From Your Outdoor AC Unit:
Your air conditioner is made to withstand the outdoor elements, but small rodents, like mice, are still able to find their way into your system. This happens most often during the winter when they are seeking shelter. It’s not uncommon for a system breakdown to occur due to chewed wires from a mouse. While that may be unavoidable entirely, do yourself a favor and don’t plant shrubs near your air conditioner where these rodents may hide. You can also lay out mouse repellents near the system to help keep pests away.
Use Fans Occasionally:
To give your HVAC system some assistance, utilize fans in the summer to help lower the ‘feels like’ room temperatures. Fans circulate air and can cool you and your family down quickly in hot weather or keep it comfortable during colder days. This helps your HVAC system run more smoothly and efficiently.
Have Your HVAC System Serviced By A Professional At Least Once A Year:
While DIY maintenance is valuable, professional servicing is essential at least once or twice a year. Regular professional inspections ensure any issues are addressed promptly, preventing problems from escalating and potentially causing costly damage. Moreover, professional servicing ensures the use of up-to-date parts and optimal system performance.
Call Logan AC and Heat for Assistance
If your unit requires professional maintenance—notably, if you suspect refrigerant leaks or if the installation process isn’t fun—consider entrusting the task to experts like the ones at Logan AC and Heat. Their team is experienced with different models, servicing all brands of central cooling systems. In addition to servicing your ac, they can install new central air conditioning systems and ductless mini split equipment for whole-home or zoned cooling.
Which brand of AC is best?
The best brand of AC would depend on various factors such as energy efficiency ratings, cooling capacity, reliability, and overall customer satisfaction. Some well-regarded brands in the AC industry include Trane, Carrier, Daikin, Mitsubishi Electric, and Lennox. These brands are known for their high-quality products, advanced technologies, and long-lasting performance. However, it is important to consult with an HVAC professional to determine the best AC brand for your specific needs, as factors like climate, budget, and the size of your space can influence the decision. Ultimately, choosing the HVAC installing company is even more important than the brand, so always make sure you do your research before selecting a contractor for the work to replace your AC.
Which AC is best and cheap?
The best and cheap AC would largely depend on individual needs and requirements. It is advisable to consider factors such as cooling capacity, energy efficiency ratings, features, and customer reviews to determine the best and cost-effective AC for your specific needs. Additionally, comparing prices and taking advantage of sales or discounts can also help you find a good deal. A low or mid-efficiency system will typically cost less than a high-efficiency system, but the savings yielded over time should always play a role in the decision you make for your ac investment.
What type of air conditioner is most efficient?
The most efficient type of air conditioner is the one with a high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating. SEER measures the cooling output of an air conditioner divided by the electrical energy input over a typical cooling season. Air conditioners with higher SEER ratings are more efficient and can help reduce energy consumption and costs. Generally, ductless mini-split systems tend to be more efficient than traditional central air conditioning systems. However, the efficiency of an air conditioner also depends on factors such as proper installation, insulation, and regular maintenance.